Bramall Lane - The Oldest Major Football Ground in the World
This is an article I wrote a while back that details some important events that mark the early years of Bramall Lane up until the start of the First World War. It is the only ground in the country to have hosted the English national champions, England international games, a cricket test match & the FA Cup Final. Here’s a quick run down of some notable events at Bramall Lane. Read the full article here.
- 1855 - Ground opened
- 1862 - First football match Sheffield FC v Hallam FC
- 1863 - First Yorkshire CCC match
- 1867 - Youdan Cup Final - World’s first cup final
- 1868 - Cromwell Cup Final - Won with World’s first Golden Goal.
- 1871 - First inter-association game Sheffield FA V London FA
- 1878 - World’s first floodlit match
- 1883 - First England v Scotland fixture outside London or Glasgow
- 1898 - Sheffield Utd win National Championship
- 1901 - First Archibald Leitch stand in England
- 1902 - England v Australia test match
- 1912 - FA Cup Final replay
more Sheffield United on Footysphere