Another installment in our continuing Five Fun Facts feature and for the first time (but not the last) we focus on a European side. We cross the channel with Andrew Gibney of the Gib Football Show for a lean lowdown on the French 2010/11 double winners Lille OSC.
1. Chairman Michel Seydoux was the producer for a Russian film called “Close to Eden” which was nominated for Best Foreign Language film at the 1993 Academy Awards.
2. Superstar Eden Hazard has three younger footballing brothers. Thorgan (17) plays at rivals RC Lens while Kylian (15) and Ethan (7) still play in France. Kylian will join Lille when he’s 16.
3. Lille’s first ever manager was former Crystal Palace striker George “Bill” Berry. The striker was born in Hackney in 1904 he died in 1972.
4. Lille have played in the Champions League twice but have never played a game at their own ground. The Stade de France and Lens’ Stade Felix Bollaert have been used due to the 18,000 capacity of the Stade Lille Metrpole.
5. Striker Moussa Sow moved on a free transfer from Rennes in the summer of 2010. In six years at Rennes he had scored a total of 12 goals. This season he has 21 goals for Lille.
Thanks to Andrew for those lovely LOSC facts. You can keep up with all the latest from French football by checking out French Football Weekly which is co-hosted by Andrew and you’ll also find him on twitter.